The "I Can't Sew" Curtain Panel

Monday, April 26, 2010


The moment I stepped onto the Decor Blogger circuit I was introduced to this amazing "tape" that would open up possibilities to people like me: Non-Sewers. I never thought I would be able to make my own custom curtain panels. But now it is possible because of this:

Stitch Witchery is a bonding glue that you apply with the iron. Yes, all you need is an iron, a damp rag, this magic tape and your fabric!!!! I know, if you haven't heard of this before welcome to the land of fabric!
  1. First, cut your fabric. I cut mine in a rectangle the dimensions of a curtain panel I woulda purchased (with a couple inches to spare for the magic tape!).
2. Place Stitch Witchery on your fabric, fold the edge on top.


3. Press your iron on a damp towel on top of your folded seem. Count to 10. Move on until you have done the whole thing. Done! (In short, follow the directions on the back of the package.)

Because I was doing curtains for my sliding door, which is really wide, I had to use 2 panels and seem them together. Again, I can't sew, so I used the "magic tape" to seem them together.

In all honesty, my seem didn't turn out the greatest. It was hard to iron 2 pieces of fabric together! But all my edges look amazing. You would never know a Custom Curtain Virgin (CCV, haha) made this:

The fabric was on Sale at Joannes! It is so pretty. I got way lucky because I had my 3 kids with me, I had a total of 10 minutes to run in the store, grab something and leave!

I was having HUGE issues getting the length right, it was just a bit long. Also, it looked so messy. Then I saw how Sarah clipped her curtains, tried it, and it made a WORLD of difference! Clip them from the back. Thanks Sarah!!!

I didn't use any lining. It seems to work great. I am cheap, I didn't want to buy anything more than I had to.

Now lets look at my before and after (you know I gotta do that!)
Before:

Yes, this was taken at Christmas time.... only pic I got!!!
After
I'd say it is a LOT better!! Now just need to accessorize :)

Linking to:

Leave a Comment

  1. Love it.. I can't sew either, but now I can't wait to get my hands on some fabric to make new curtains for my living room. I'm thinking drop cloths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to use stitch witchery, but sounds simple enough! I love the lighter colors with your dark table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I can't remember if you said what color you did on the walls...I love it with the curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about you! I love it! absolutely beautiful! so cheerful and full of charm! Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place when you get a moment. I have become a follower and would be honored if you choose to do the same! until later...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog! Visiting from SITS. Wanna come do my home over for a day?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so impressed! I never thought of Stitch Witchery, that's an awesome idea! Its great stuff, its holding the hem of my jeans together as we speak...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many yards did you use for these? They are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can't sew but still work wonders. Great job and done frugally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That’s one beautiful curtain! Very creative! I have to agree with you; it looks very elegant and a lot better! Te room is brighter compared to the picture above during Christmas time. I’ll definitely try this at home.

    {Roxie Tenner }

    ReplyDelete
  10. This curtains are awesome. You did a pretty good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used Stitch Witchery with A flat queen size sheet to make my Sliding glass door curtain. I used a dark Burgundy color to keep sunlight out of my kitchen - due to migraines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I
    also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; we have created some nice
    practices and we are looking to swap techniques with others, be sure to shoot me an email if interested.


    Also visit my web site ... Newport Beach massage today

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the right web site for everyone who would like to find out about
    this topic. You realize a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that
    I actually will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on
    a topic which has been written about for decades. Wonderful stuff, just great!



    my website :: ayurveda-caam.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful job. I love the curtains. So simple too. Thank u for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Got somethin to say or ask.. I hope it is nice ;) Love to hear from you!